hellkvist.org Forum Index hellkvist.org
Discussions about the free software on hellkvist.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

parasitic load of peffisaur's script

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hellkvist.org Forum Index -> Peffisaur
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexandr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: parasitic load of peffisaur's script Reply with quote

Hi!
I have istalled your script on my hosting provider's server and it works grait! but there is one problem: hosting provider sent me E-mail and wrote that my scripts are cause of parasitic load of their server. The part of that letter is below:

<begin>
User Domain %CPU %MEM Mysql Processes
justfort justfortest.advanta.org 0.37 0.03 0.0
Top Process %CPU 16.0 /usr/bin/perl /home/justfort/bin/recmail.pl
Top Process %CPU 15.0 /usr/bin/perl /home/justfort/bin/recmail.pl
Top Process %CPU 12.0 /usr/bin/perl /home/justfort/bin/recmail.pl
<finish>

justfortest.advanta.org is URL of my Peffisaur
justfort is my login and private directory where my MMS blog's soft was installed.

Hosting server performed recmail.pl every 5 minutes automatically, now every 30 minutes.

Privider threatens to ban my account Smile

what should I do?
mwright

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying that you have arranged for recmail.pl to run every five minutes?

If so - STOP IT - it does not work that way!

recmail.pl is supposed to run only when someone sends email to the special address for email blog submissions and NOT on a regular basis.

If you/they have not scheduled it to run on a regular basis - then I am afraid I don't know what the problem is!
Alexandr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed
I thought that recmail.pl get the post of peffisaur's user and sort it into datebase of users. Server performed recmail.pl every 5 minutes. I made it by using spesial scheluler of provider's server. So what another way to do it?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop it being scheduled every five minutes as soon as spssible before they ban you for using too much processing time!!

You need to understand how the email process works before trying this again.

Unfortunately Peffis is away at the moment - he could explain it much better than me.

Basically you need to arrange for recmail.pl to run when an email is received, and not some time later.

How you do this depends on what services your hosting provider offers. On my machine, I use postfix to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. thanks
Peffis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the receive script should not be run as a cron job. It works so that the mail daemon on your server receives an incoming email, checks the filters to determine where to route it, discovers that it should go to the peffisaur user, the peffisaur user has a .forward so it reads that, the .forward contains a reference to procmail so the mail goes on to be processed by procmail, procmail then finally pipes the incoming email to recmail.pl.

So...recmail.pl is run once every time someone posts something to your site and it's run by the mail daemon process.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hellkvist.org Forum Index -> Peffisaur All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: